Castiglion Alberti

An ancient fortification built by the Ubertinis in the 10th century, it can be accessed through a trail bordered by tall cypresses and gnarled oaks.Part of Florentine Valdambra in the 14th century, it was joined to Bucine's communal territory after the Leopoldine Land Reform of 1777. Its past as a military outpost can still be seen, as traces of the ancient castle are still extant in the village.

Described in the 16th century by the historian Scipione Ammirato as "an ancient borough with a handful of dwellings around, which seems to have been an ancient fortress", the village of Castiglion Alberti can be reached through a "white dirt track", bordered by tall cypresses and oak trees. Known as "Castiglione Albertorum" in some fourteenth century documents, the settlement was established in 10th century by the Ubertinis, it remained in their possession for the next four hundred years, when it was sold to the abbey of Agnano and in 1350 was incorporated into the Florentine Republic's demesne. Following many administrative and land reforms, the first of which occurred in 1362, with the establishment of the district of New Valdambra (or League of Valdambra) and the last one in the eighteenth century enacted by Leopold of Tuscany, Castiglione Alberti joined the Podesteria di Bucine (hereinafter municipality), and followed its fate.

Arriving into the village, the first thing that can be seen is the bell tower of the deconsecrated church of St. Fabiano and Sebastiano, rising above the treetops.

The alert observer will easily spot the traces of the ancient walls that once surrounded the place.