San Pancrazio

San Pancrazio is not too far from a junction of considerable importance, used and well-known from the Roman times. Once part of the Ubertini's fiefdom then successively sold to the Abbey of Agnano. In the second half of the fourteenth century it moved under the control of Florence, as the rest of Valdambra. In 1944 (June 29) the village was the scene of the massacre of 55 of its inhabitants, perpetrated by the Nazis and the fascists. Their sacrifice was lately memorialized with the opening of t

The hamlet is built on the top of a hill not so far from a road junction already well known during Roman times. The road was important because it led to the ancient Etruscan city of Arretium.
The aforementioned road, a bypass of the Cassia, was known as "via Traversa" during Middle Ages and "via dei Procacci" in the 18th century.
San Pancrazio – as well as many other settlements and castles in the area – belonged to the Ubertini, that sold it, in the year of Our Lord 1262, to the abbey of Agnano, and eventually ended under the control of the Republic of Florence in the 1350s.
In 1944, the village suffered the killing of 55 of its inhabitants at the hands of the Nazi-fascists, retreating to the north during the last phases of WW2. For that reason, to honour the sacrifice of the people of San Pancrazio, a Museum of Memory has been established, aiming at raising awareness of what happened then, so that such events may never happen again.